Monday, February 15, 2010

Setting a Schedule in Kolkata


Because our office hours will be overnight we have to adjust to those hours pretty quickly. I was lucky that having arrived Saturday 11pm to have Sunday as well as a holiday Monday off. On Sunday afternoon fellow travelers on the project told me to stay up until 4am and get up at noon to get adjusted. I ended up needing a nap around 5pm though for about a hour-I was totally unconscious. I took a sleep aid about 3am. I had set my alarm for 12:30pm but was awakened at 1pm by a phone call. My alarm didn't work! It was the outsource manager telling me not to come in as planned for Monday since the rest of the team had not yet arrived due to their flight being cancelled. I joined the others who have been here for 4 weeks for a 3pm 'breakfast' and then they left for the office. It is odd to get up and dress and all just to have sunset a few hours later.
Not a very active afternoon / evening and just like yesterday I needed that hour nap. That can't happen tomorrow when I am training!
Dinner was at 10pm like last night. This is the dinner time at the office where Indian food is catered, so again, getting my hours adjusted to the routine here that will be my life for 6 weeks.
The hotel is luxurious, the staff is very nice and attentive. Just beyond the hotel compound it looks shabby by comparison. Every car that enters the drive must go through a security check, as in under the car & hood, and in the trunk. You must then walk through a metal detector before entering the front hotel doors.
Although we have been warned to not eat anything that is not cooked, the team that has been here for a month have ventured over to salads and fresh fruit that is served by the Waterside Cafe inside the hotel. None have gotten ill from this. They still drink & brush their teeth with bottled water only.
I have been told to expect 12 hour work days that include pre training meetings and then daily briefings at the end of the 'day'. Due to this my blogs may be much shorter. We have to work on Saturday to make up the holiday Monday.
The best part of today was receiving Valentine's roses from my husband of nearly 40 years. Indians give a sweet with a gift so a candy bar came with the delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment