Monday, February 22, 2010

Out and About



We finally left the hotel 'compound'. It was good to have a day off and go see something different other than our routine drive to the offce and back. We chose to go to the Victoria Memorial. This is a museum in which we saw 18th century paintings of different India scenes and other artifacts. There was a LOT of marble and large statues. In one room were artifacts of the Indian fight for its independence of Great Britain among which was a letter from Nehru that touched me in particular. The gardens could be better tended, but nice nonetheless. The 6 of us got stared at, but I usually walk around with blinders, not looking for such things. It was also good to actually see families and little children, something I miss in this work-hotel routine I have been living. After the memorial, our driver took us to see the River Ganges and across a large suspension bridge that more than one local has told me to see. It was cool (but very bumpy!)
We saw sights that are pretty much the same in any city on a Sunday: large buildings, billboard advertising, people shopping or hanging out, but we also saw some very poor folks. One unusual sight was a sidewalk barber, no chair or pole, just 2 guys squatting on a sidewalk, one shaving the other's face. Again traffic can be pretty different from what we are used to in the states. I wonder what their driver's test is like?


After that we drove back toward the hotel to a large mall (Mani Square). Most of the stores there are small. Spencer's is like a Target store and I was making note of the snack foods there in case I run out of the stash I brought. The Mall has stores like US such as Puma, Nike, Adidas, optical, McDonalds and such. Jen and I were eager to check out scarves and things more "Indi' but felt we would like our girlfriends at the office to be with us to guide us to good buys. Speaking of which, when I walked out of the mall, there was Meena, the Lead in my training class talking with the other half of the group! It was good to see her and meet her fiance who took a snap of our group. I am sure you can tell which one she is in the picture.


We ate dinner at the hotel's Italian restaurant and because of a coworker's earlier experience at the hotel, we had a lovely time in a huge suite, complete with a balcony that overlooks the city. Drinks and then a few games of Loteria - Mexican bingo. There were about 12 of us and it was a very fun time. Here is a shot from the balcony of the hotel grounds.



I think I finally know why it is difficult to feel really well here, apparently this is a symptom of the malaria pill I have to take daily: Malarone. I sometimes wake up in the middle of what should be a good sleep cycle with a racing heart. I had been thinking maybe I am just dehydrated, so I get up and drink water, but after reading the circular that came with the pills, I am blaming it on this medication. Wish I could go off them and wonder how I can handle this for another 5 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Hi momma! I chuckled to myself when you mentioned the drivers' test... I'd be curious to find out if they even take one?
    Sorry to hear about the yucky feeling your meds give you :( I hope your system gets accustomed to it if possible and the side effects subside. Love the photos! Post more! xoxoxo

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete